Sunday, November 19, 2006

Anna Karenina



Well, it took a while, but I'm finally finished Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I'll admit that I remain a little confused about just how and why everyone in olden-days upper class Russia had to have 3 names--and I don't have an immense knowledge of Russia's political history....but it doesn't matter. I was drawn into this book by Tolstoy's amazing ability to portray humanity.

I still can't decide whether the author sounds masculine or feminine...

It's late, so I can't write much, but I must say that, if anyone were to tell me they were planning to read A.K., I would wholeheartedly encourage it, but couple my encouragement with the following cautions:
1. the beginning, until you get the hang of the whole name-change thing, is slow going
2. the only part more slow-going than the beginning is the ending. The infamous climax occurs at about page 700; 100 pages of only semi-related resolution follow...

No comments: